Historical Figures: Bobby Moore

Team Captain for the 1966 World Cup, Bobby Moore was one of Britain's first media darlings, with his unhurried style, graceful athleticism and curly blond hair.


Robert Frederick Chelsea Moore was born in Barking, in 1941. He joined West Ham as a schoolboy, making his first appearance for the team in 1958. From the start, he was one of the most assured defenders the game has ever seen. He played several matches for England youth and under-23 sides before making his international debut as a senior in 1962.

Moore appeal

His unhurried style, graceful athleticism and curly blond hair soon got him noticed. In 1964, England manager Alf Ramsey made Moore captain of the team he was building for the 1966 World Cup tournament. As the championship neared, there was an undeniable buzz around the England team and Bobby Moore was at the centre of it. A perfect gentleman on and off the pitch, he was also a true media star - one of British football's first such personalities.

On July 30, 1966"1966 World Cup Final"), Bobby Moore and ten other Englishmen played the game of their lives against West Germany. The dying moments of the match are well-known. England went 4-2 up as Geoff Hurst completed his hat-trick with a cracking shot. But the goal would never have happened without Bobby Moore. The England captain intercepted the ball during a bout of frantic German pressure. Instead of booting it wildly into touch, he calmly sent a perfect pass upfield to Hurst.

Defining moment

The image of Moore lifting the Jules Rimet Cup aloft at Wembley is the defining moment in English football. But team mates and sharp-eyed observers also recall him wiping his hands carefully before he shook hands with the Queen. What a gent!

Moore made 108 appearances for England, 90 as captain. But his career after he retired from the English game in 1977 lacked the assurance he had always shown on the pitch. He briefly played for a North American club, Seattle Sounders, before trying management. But spells with Oxford City and Southend United were disappointing. He also worked as a radio analyst and commentator but his health was failing by the late 1980s. Tragically, he died of cancer in 1993.